Sunday 4 May 2014

Pinch Pot

                First of all, I took a handful of clay and started playing with it. By doing this I remove the air bubble that is stuck in the clay. This type of playing with the clay is called wedging. After I finished wedging the clay, I started forming my clay into a ball. I made it into a ball because it will be easier in making my pinch pot. Once I made the ball of clay, I started to smooth out the wrinkle parts of the clay because this is essential part when making the pinch pot. You don’t want your side of the pot to look all wrinkled. After smoothing out the ball of clay, I started forming my pinch pot. The first thing I did was I place one of my hands unto the bottom of the ball of clay and my other hand; I used my thumb to open up the ball of clay. Then, I started pinching the bottom of the hole until the top portion of the clay. This will give my clay the height and width of my bowl. After I finished pinching my clay it looked like a bowl. I started to make the foot for the bottom of my bowl. From the bottom of the bowl I started to pinch it up, so it looked like there is foot. Then I carved it using a carving tool to make the foot proportionate with each other. Then I smoothed the tip of the bowl because I didn’t want it to have a design because I am planning on using that to eat.
                Once I’ve finish my bowl, I started to decorate it. I decorated my bowl using the needle tool and started drawing on the surface of the bowl. My design was like several stems with leaves on them. I was inspired to make this decoration because I was always fascinated by how plants look like and how they look so beautiful. I drew all over my bowl and once I was done, I had to set it aside to dry a little bit. Once the bowl dried or went through the stage leather hard, I went and took a brush and started brushing unto the place I drew my stems and leaves. By doing this I was able to remove those tiny lumps of clay that were stuck at the edge of the drawing. The last thing I did was I took the metal thing and started burnishing my bowl, making it look as if it was shiny.
               The glaze technique i used was brushing it three times and using a pen to clean the parts of the design. I did this so the design can pop out more and won't have any glaze.


No comments:

Post a Comment